Search for Fillipino Article

Custom Search

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Idiomatic Expression

Idiomatic Expression

v Don’t cry over spilled milk. Meaning: What is done is done. Just make the best of a bad situation, and get on with your life.
Sentence: Be the best what you are and don’t cry over spilled milk.

v Never look a gift-horse in the mouth. Meaning: If someone gives you a gift, you are behaving rudely if you inspect the gift closely in search of defects. A hundred years ago, before people kept accurate records of such things, horse traders could tell the age of a horse by looking at its teeth.
Sentence: If your friend give you a gift Never look a gift-horse in the mouth.

v Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Meaning: Evenly distribute your wealth, so that if something goes wrong in one area of your life, perhaps you can salvage the rest of your treasures.
Sentence: Don Mario do not put all his eggs in one basket.

v Let’s cross that bridge when we come to it. Meaning: Yes, that is a problem. But, let’s not worry about it until we have to deal with it.
Sentence: Hey friend “ let cross that bridge when we came to it.

v Don’t change horses in the middle of the stream. Meaning: Once you have begun to execute a plan, you should stay with it until you have completed it.
Sentence: You started, let it finished and don’t change horses in the middle of the stream.

v I was all dressed up with no place to go. Meaning: I was ready to go to the party, but my parents said, “No! You have to stay home!”
Sentence: My friend’s birthday is now, I was dressed up but no place to go.

v Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater! Meaning: Although part of a plan may not be working, that is no reason to dispense with the whole idea!
Sentence: I will do a plan and if a part of that plan may not be working, I will not throw the baby out of the water.

v Those two (children, shirts, flower pots, or whatever) are as alike as two peas in a pod. Meaning: They are so similar to each other that no one can tell the difference between them.
Sentence: Leo and Aaron are as like as two peas in a pod

v It is time to fish or cut bait. Meaning: I have to make a decision: Should I continue the way I am going? Or, should I stop, turn around, go back to the beginning, and try something else?
Sentence: Please give me advice, It is time to fish or cut bait?

v Get your ducks in a row. Meaning: Organize your projects. Get everything straightened out. Be ready for what comes next.
Sentence: I always get my duck in a row.

v Don’t fly off the handle. Meaning: Don’t get angry without first taking the time to find out all the facts of the situation.
Sentence: A good citizen do not fly off the handle.

v Waste not, want not. If you do not waste your resources, then you will have them when you need them. In this context, “want” is used less in then sense of “desire” and more in the sense of “need”.
Sentence: I do not waste not, want not for the sake of my future.

v Spare the rod and spoil the child. Meaning: I believe that this is from the Bible. If a child is misbehaving, and the parent refrains from striking him with a stick, then the child will not learn his lesson.
Sentence: If I have my son I’ll do not spare the rod and spoil the child.

v I’ll see you in church! I’ll see you in the funny papers! Meaning: These both mean the same thing: Take care of yourself. I’ll see you soon!
Sentence: Bye! I will see you in the church.

v It’s raining cats and dogs! Meaning: It’s raining very hard.
Sentence: The weather say’s that “this day is raining cats and dog”

v Don’t put the cart before the horse. Meaning: You should do things in the proper order.
Sentence: When I’m doing something, I don’t put the cart before the horse.

v That dog won’t hunt. Meaning: Your idea is not a good one. Try again.
Sentence: Mr. Ilagan suggest a plan for our school but his dog wont hunt.

v Big Deal. Meaning: an important transaction
Sentence: I have got a big deal that I do not want to miss.



v Black Sheep. Meaning: a person who disgraces his family or his group.
Sentence: Paulo is the black sheep of their family.

v In Cold Blood. Meaning: Without showing emotion.
Sentence: The woman is murdered in cold blood.

v No dice. Meaning: no success.
Sentence: I tried to offer her a salary of thirty pesos but no dice.

v Now and then. Meaning: occasionally
Sentence: We go to parties now and then.

v Off the record. Meaning: unofficial
Sentence: The President made an off the record statement.

v Show off. Meaning: To brag conspicuously.
Sentence: She is wearing her new earrings just to show off.

v Sit on the fence. Meaning: To be neutral.
Sentence: I won’t vote for anybody. I’ll just sit on the fence.

v Save your skin. Meaning: To save your life.
Sentence: She barely saved her skin when her house got burned.

v Red handed. Meaning: In the act.
Sentence: The thief was caught red-handed

v Believe in. Meaning: To have faith in.
Sentence: Everybody in the household believes in god.

v Behind the scenes. Meaning: Away from the public.
Sentence: Most of the work of their corporation is done behind the scenes.

v Big shot. Meaning: An important person.
Sentence: Domingo, a former student of mine is now, a big shot.

v Break in. Meaning: to accustom.
Sentence: Here’s a new maid. Break her in on the new machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lola: iho, ako ay isinumpa, isa akong prinsesa, ngunit kung ako’y iyong gagahasain. Babalik ako sa maganda kong anyo at tuluyang mapuputol ang sumpa! ..makaraan ang ilang saglit… Lalaki: ayan, tapos na. bakit hindi ka pa nagpapalit ng anyo? Lola: ilang taon ka na iho? Lalaki: 30 na ho. Lola: iyang tanda mong iyan, naniniwala ka pa sa fairytale?